Thursday 16 August 2012

Cunninghame ramblers. Garelochhead to Tarbet linear. August 2012

Our starting point.

Walkers alighting the train.

We were heading for Glen Douglas.

A warning sign about red flags.

WHAT RED FLAG?

Coffee stop on the forest road.

Unusual sign on a portaloo door.

Another bloody tale of woe. (see text)

One of our tricky burn crossings.

This was a more unusual one.

A lovely view down Loch Long.

Ardgarten Hotel and campsite.

Today's group.

Mr and Mrs Happy walk leaders.
Yesterday Wednesday August 15th I took the bus to Tarbet on Loch Lomond to meet with Cunninghame Ramblers who were doing a 13 mile linear walk from Garelochead back to Tarbet. Once the group assembled in the car park at the lochside the leader explained the walk which first of all involved taking the train to the start in Garelochhead. he also pointed out if all pensioners showed their bus passes to the fare collector on the train we would get a ticket for the journey at 80p each,all the others of which there were only two number would have to pay £3.50 so there are some advantages to getting older.Once we got off the train we had a climb up a hill to "the yankee road"which was built by the USA forces in the 1940's. A red flag was flying telling walkers this area was out of bounds but the leader explained he had contacted the authorities and as long as we stuck to the roads and paths we would not be shot at,("Very reassuring was heard from the rear!!) As it was a clear warm windy day the midges were having a holiday  much to the delight of the group as we went throught the forest and ferns which is where the little devils live, this is an area renowned for them. Approching Glen Douglas with all its secret naval storage areas deep silos were seen going underground perhaps this is where they store all those weapons of mass destruction. At this point we came across some portaloos (little toilets) with a very unusual sign telling you not to dispose of your used ammnunition down the toilet but to put them in a thing called an amnesty box. As it was such an unusual sign I could not resist taking a photograph of it to use on my blog,sitting down on one knee to get a close up the wind caught the door blew it open and knocked me down onto the ground hence the picture of me complete with  bloody nose. (Thanks Mr Fluorescent for the photo)Now I tell you I got a fright but very soon I had all the lady members producing antiseptic wipes and plasters I was soon up on my feet again bruised but not broken. When I got home I told Anne it was a bash from a lavvy door up in the hills above Loch Long she did not believe me ,I wonder why?After we had a lunch break the rest of the walk was on tracks high above the loch giving us some wonderful views of the Cobbler and Ben Narnain which I climbed a few months ago. Once back at the cars the leaders were thanked for their excellent efforts working out a safe route for us in conjunction with the "armed forces", it was now time for the teacher and myself to board the bus back to Glasgow and then onto Ayr. Super day out with excellent company and may I convey my own personal thanks to all who assisted me when I was bowled over by that bl**dy lavvy door!!

1 comment:

  1. Great walk Gordon.
    Sorry to hear of your mishap, but I've just laughed my socks off.
    The 'Teacher' informed me Tuesday night of this impending walk.
    He's put on weight after his cruise and it worried him ha ha.
    I like the pyrotechnics bit, it reminds me of Sharkey Feldon.
    He was a bit of a pyromaniac and spent quite a bit of time in the glasshouse for his escapades.
    One of his favourite tricks on exercise was to wait while someone visited the 'Thunderbox', then insert a 'Thunderflash' down into the pit by means of a hole he'd made earlier.
    Oh Shit ! was a well used phrase back then.

    ReplyDelete